This is so easy, even I can make it.
If you know me, you know that I am not a cook. However, this recipe was so easy and tasted so delicious that I thought I would post for my patients who want a heart healthy summer snack or side (I actually ate the left-overs as a meal the next night!).
These are the basic ingredients, but you can pretty much add or take away as much as you want. If you don’t like onion, don’t use as much onion, if you think it’s too dry add more Olive Oil, etc.
- 3 cans of black beans
- 2 pkg Frozen corn
- ¼ of a bunch of Cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cooking oil or butter (for the corn)
- 1-2 Chopped peppers (yellow or red bell peppers will work just fine)
- 1 Fresh Jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- ½ Chopped Red Onion
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- 2 whole diced tomatoes
- Open cans and rinse the black beans with water
- Roast about as much corn as you need to have a 1/1 ratio with the beans.
- Pour some oil (not olive) in a skillet, dump in some frozen corn about 2 “layers” of corn thick. Stir and sauté in skillet until kernels start to brown slightly
- Chop everything else
- Combine in a big bowl
- Squeeze the juice from a large lemon, be sure to keep the seeds on the side.
- Stir in Olive Oil, Lemon Juice, Salt and Pepper to taste
- Stick in the refrigerator for a few hours before you eat…this is sort of like chili, the longer it sits, the better the flavor!
Enjoy. This made enough for about 10 generous servings.